Helix piercing is done on the upper ear cartilage to on a piece of jewelry and there are various trendy ideas of Helix piercing available.
You can choose various piercing locations on ear because you get a big area to try and experiment. Helix piercing is one of them which is so trendy and stylish nowadays. “Helix piercing’s location is upper and outer cartilage of ear to insert a jewelry whether it is ring or stud”.
If you have decided to pierce your ear and want to stand out of the crowd, even more stylish then you can go for helix piercing. Here is a complete guide and safety tips, you need to know about helix piercing, must know before going to get your ear pierced.
What Is A Helix Piercing
Helix piercing is usually done on the upper and Outer part of the ear cartilage to insert a piece jewellery. There are different types of helix piercings based on their locations or options available to get your helix piercing done and accordingly it named differently.
Different Types Of Helix Piercing
There are three types of helix piercings which very popular and trendy, name as:
- Forward helix piercing
- Classic / Single helix piercing
- Double helix piercing
- Triple helix piercing
Let’s discuss what does these meant!
1. What Is A Forward Helix Piercing
Forward helix piercing is done at the upper side of your ear cartilage just at the beginning of curve near your face. This location is just above the tragus and jewellery faces forward to your face, this is why it’s called forward helix piercing. Forward helix piercing is slightly more painfull than the lobe piercing.
Forward helix piercing can be double or triple forward helix piercing depending upon the number of pierces get done adjacent to each other on the same ear.
2. What Is A Classic / Single Helix Piercing
Classic or single helix piercing is done on the upper and ourt side of your ear cartridge just once on either one or on both ear. You can insert one jewellery on your helix at a time.
3. What Is A Double Helix Piercing
Double helix piercing is just alike to classic helix piercing but get piercing is done twice adjacent to each other on the same ear. So that you can insert two jewelleries at the same time or single curved jewellery that’s inserted through both the wholes.
4. What Is A Triple Helix Piercing
Just like double helix piercing– triple helix piercing is when your ear pierced three times adjacent to each other on the same ear. In triple triple helix piercing you can on three helix jewellery at a time or single curved jewellery that’s inserted through all three pierces.
Helix Piercing Procedure
- First of all you will have to select our jewellery which will be inserted at the time of piercing.
- Now, your piercer will clean up the area of your ear first where piercing is to be done.
- Now location will be selected
- They will mark the location and show you, if they don’t show the location– you ask them and see if the location is suits on your face, so that you don’t have to regret after.
- After selecting the location, piercing will done so quickly. Only preparation takes longer time.
- Now the piercing will be done with the help of of the jewellery you selected.
Congrats! Your Helix Piercing Is Done.
Now let’s have a quick view on the the options available for jewellery at the time of selection to get your ear pierced.
Helix Piercing Jewelry
In helix piercing you can insert two types of jewelleries stud or hoop/ring. Both the options are explained below:
1. Stud: Stud is a slightly ling alpine like structure. At one end there is a design which will appear on your ear after inserting. This design is backend by a long and thin needle by which it is inserted in the hole of your helix and locked by a fixer.
2. Hoop/Ring: As it cleared by it’s name– hoop is a small flexible ring which can be easily twisted or bend at any direction.
Always prefer a jewelry of high quality of metal because it would be rust free and chances of getting any sort of allergy or infections are very less. You should choose either stainless steel, gold or titanium.
Helix Piercing Aftercare
- Clean your helix piercing 2-3 three times in a day with any salt soap or saline solution.
- Keep your pierced location dry.
- Always wash your hand before touching it.
- Do not remove or twist and play with your helix jewellery.
- If you have long hair then keep them tied to avoid entangling it with your helix piercing jewellery.
- Do not ever try to remove or change your helix jewellery before it’s heel up completely.
- Do not sleep on the freshly piercing side. Keep pierced side up while sleeping.
- Always use clean pillows to avoid infections.
Helix Piercing Healing Time
Usual healing time of helix piercing is about 6 to 9 months and it may vary completely depending on the healing power of person’s body and on any complications– if it occurs.
If you are more sensitive type of person and your piercing is irritating too much then it may take more than 6 months to heal completely.
You should contact to your piercer if your helix gets extra swollen, any bad smell, puss secreation or any sort of yellow fluid comes out and your pain become worsened.
Helix Piercing Cost
Helix piercing cost may vary between $40 – $60. Depending upon the jewelry you choose for you to be pierced and the location of piercer center.
Helix Piercing Men
Helix piercing is one of the most stylish and trending piercing amongst the men. It is very popular and in demand at present. The process of helix piercing is similar in both men and women. A sharp needled piercing jewellery either stud or a hoop is inserted through your helix from one side to another and close it by either twisting or fixing by a fixer.
Helix Piercing Pros And Cons
- It changes your look completely.
- You feel confident that you are looking beautiful I get in helix piercing done.
- As it is not a common piercing, you stands out of the crowd.
- It takes longer time to heal up. As piercing is done on the cartilage.
- You’ll have to take extra care of it.
- Chances of getting infections are high if you neglect aftercare instructions.
- You have to keep in mind 24×7 for approx one year that to take care of your helix while combing, bathing and even while sleeping.
Helix Piercing Precautions
- Relay on an experienced and expert piercer for helix piercing to avoid complications.
- Do not pierce more than 3 helix piercings on one ear.
- Always select the jewelry of high quality metals like stainless steel, gold or titanium, to avoid ccomplications.
- Always clean your hands before touching the pierced area.
- Do not play or twist your piercing jewellery, it may increase swelling and pain.
- Sleep on the opposite side down your to your pierced ear.
- Avoid rubbing.
- Do not remove your inserted jewellery before it’s heel up completely.
- Follow cleaning and aftercare steps seriously.
- Contact your piercer if irritation, swelling or pain increases too much.
Helix Piercing Side Effects
Some of the most common side effects of helix piercing are:
- Irritation on skin
- After some time secreation of yellow fluid
- Headache in some cases
- Feeling uncomfortable
How Painful Are Helix Piercings
Well, this is asked by every person who is going to pierce the helix. Any straight answer to this question can not be given as every person is having different pain tolerance and it’s totally depend on the person’s pain tolerance capacity.
If pain can be given rating upto 10 then helix piercing pain may be somewhere between 4 to 7. It’s more painful than the earlobe piercing but less than other body part’s piercings.
The actual and severe pain of helix piercing will last for few seconds only at the time when piercing takes place. After that the pain can be manageable but you should follow aftercare instructions to avoid any rejection or complication to be occure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Do helix piercing get infected easily?
Ans. Since helix piercing takes longer time to heal up completely in comparison to ear lobe piercing. So chances of getting infections are high, if you neglect after care instructions.
Q2. When can i change my helix piercing?
Ans. Don’t ever think to change or to remove your helix piercing until it completely heals up. Healing process can take approx 6 months to 9 months. Sometimes it seems as it is healed up from the outer side but the inner area takes longer time for the same.
So consult your piercer before change or remove your helix piercing, to avoid any complication to be occur.
Q3. What are the disadvantages of ear piercing?
Ans. Ear piercing takes long time to heal up and aftercare should be followed as instructed for approx one year. This is a quiet big time and if you neglect, the chances of getting infections are high. So you need to be extra careful.
Q4. How do you sleep with a helix piercing?
Ans. The best practice to sleep with a helix piercing is either on the opposite side of piercing or on your back.
Also Read: Ashley Piercing Complete Guide
Also Read: What Is Keratin Treatment For Hair Procedure At Home