Seaweed snacks are crispy, healthy and delicious in taste and are best alternatives to potato chips and other fried snacks. Seaweed snacks come in readymade form in the market online and offline. You can be prepare seaweed snacks for you at home as well by raw seaweed within 5 minutes.
There are thousands of species of Seaweed which are naturally grows and are cultivated by human. It contributes around 50% of the total oxygen of Earth. There are tremendous benefits of Seaweed snacks and it has been using in eating from decades ago.
What Is Seaweed Exactly?
There is no any solid definition about Seaweed available, but it grows inside the ocean as submarine and can be seen by naked eye. Seaweed is found in different colours like green, red or brown. These are flowery plants.
Seaweed is used as a herb and medicine widely in most of the countries. Nowadays it is used in diet pills and in diet foods. These are full of minerals and rich sources of vitamins and are tasty to eat. Japanese have been using Seaweed from more than 1500 years in their food in Nori, Sushi, salad, soup and in various food preparations.
These are majorly consumed in Asian countries, China, Japan and Korea. These are major contributer in the ecosystem of Earth as it consumes carbon dioxide and releases around 50% of the total oxygen of Earth. Because of this property of Seaweed, these are cultivated vigorously nowadays.
Eating Seaweed Snacks Benefits
There are plenty benefits of eating Seaweed snacks which are as below:
- It contains iodine and tyrosine amino acid which is essential for the proper functioning of thyroid gland. In the lack of iodine hypothyroidism occurs in which neck get enlarged. Seaweed contains the ability to absorb rich amount of iodine from sea water. Thus it helps to treat hypothyroidism. Kelp is the best source of iodine (3.5 gms in one teaspoon) amongst all seaweeds.
- It contains numerous range of antioxidants which help in diabetes and cardiac disease.
- Seaweed contains Vitamin A, C, E flavonoids and carotenoids which help to reduce free radicals. It prevents cell damage by protecting cell’s membrane.
- Seaweed is an excellent source of fiber which is very important to promote your gut health.
- A natural sugar named sulfated polysaccharides found in seaweed which provides the good environment to grow good bacteria in your gut.
- Seaweed helps you to lose weight because of this fiber content. As fiber makes you feel full of a stomach for a long time and protects you from short carvings. Thus helps you to lose weight by stop eating extra unnecessary calories.
- It also contains a compound fucoxanthin which promotes metabolic rate and helps to boost energy and fat reduction in body.
- In several studies it is found that Seaweed may reduce cholesterol and it helps to lower heart disease. It also contains a compound fucan which works as anticoagulant. That means it prevents blood clotting thus prevents heart attack. Although there are lack of evidences and studies are continued on this.
- A study conducted on Japanese for eight weeks on diabetic patients type 2. They had given 0mg, 1MG and 2mg dozes of fucoxanthin which is found in Seaweed. Those who were taking 2 MG doses, they reduced their blood sugar in comparison to the people taking 0 MG. Concluded that seaweed reduces the risk of diabetes.
Seaweed Benefits For Skin
- It tightens skin cells thus make it wrinkle free.
- It’s a natural detoxifier hence cleanse skin from the deep.
- Seaweed works as an anti ageing as it contains vitamins and minerals in a good amount.
- It keeps skin hydrated.
- Improve skin tone and lowers pigmentation.
- It supports collagen production and works as a natural plumper which helps to make skin smooth and wrinkle free.
- According to some studies it is found that tyrosine inhibitors found in several seaweed species which inhibit the growth of melanin and works as anti tanning and to improve skin tone naturally.
- Seaweed soaks so many minerals from the ocean which work well as anti inflammatory agents and helps in acne, eczema and other skin allergies.
- Seaweed is very good for oily skin as it cuts oil film of skin and soaks excessive moisture present on skin. It’s very good to use seaweed for oily anf combination type of skin.
Are Seaweed Snacks Good For You
Of course Seaweed snacks are good to eat as it is a power pack of many nutrients, vitamins and minerals like Copper, iodine, iron, vitamins and enriched with fiber. In spite of enhancing the tastes it also helps to boost energy, lose weight and gut health.
What To Eat With Seaweed Snacks
You can enjoy any crispy food with seaweed or any savoury tasted food like fish, avocado, tahini, sushi. As it’s having slightly salty favour that perfectly fits with savoury flavoured items.
Are The Seaweed Snacks The Same As Nori
Nori is one of the species of seaweed. It’s not the thing which can wrap or tangle in your legs while swimming in a river. Sheets of nori seaweed are used to make rolls, sushi and other snacks in japan, korea and in other countries.
Uses Of Seaweed
- Many seaweeds are the clusters of anti inflammatory and antimicrobial agents and are used to treat wound, rashes a d burns.
- Some specific seaweeds contain the power of Cancer fighting agents and are used to treat breast cancer.
- Seaweeds are widely used in various industries as a binding agent. One of the most popular Seaweed agar-agar (you must have listened this name), which is used in the preparation of jelly.
- Because of its binding property it is used in the preparation of toothpaste, organic cosmetics and in skincare products.
Benefits Of Dried Seaweed
Dried Seaweed does not enhances the taste of food only rather it increases the intake quantity of minerals and vitamins too.
By sprinkling dried Seaweed powder,you actually boosts the powerful ingredients for your body. Just 1 tablespoon (7gms) dried seaweed(spirulina) contains:
- Calories 20
- Protein 4 grams
- Carbs 1.7 grams
- Fat 0.5 grams
- Fiber 0.3 grams
- Copper 21% of recommended dietary intake RDI
- Riboflavin 15% of RDI
- Thiamine 11% of RDI
- Iron 11% of RDI
- Manganese 7% of RDI
- Vitamin B12. 2.4 mcg (in 4 gm nori)
Apart from the above nutrients these are good sources of Omega-3 fatty acids also.
Seaweed Side Effects
- Always check the expiry date on the label of seaweed. As rotten Seaweed can cause some side effects as well. Rotting Seaweed produces a toxic gas, hydrogen sulfide, which can cause vomiting or diarrhoea.
- Sometimes, in some individuals, if it is contacted to the skin can leave burning sensation which can take few days to heal.
- Seaweed contains high amount of iodine if it’s overconsumed may reflect thyroid problems
- Sometimes by overconsuming it may lead to expossion to rediation and heavy metals that are soaked from the ocean.
Does Seaweed Make You Fart And Poop?
Seaweed contains rich amount of fibre and enzymes which breaks down in digestible sugar present in your body does gas produces which make you fart. Seaweed is a good natural Detox which helps to eliminate toxins from the body. Since fibre content is high it holds a good amount of water in it and works like a prebiotic and stimulates your Colon. Thus makes you Pope easily and cleans your stomach.
Is Seaweed A Keto Snack?
Seaweed is a good option as a keto snack as if you finish the entire tray of Seaweed chips, you will get only 1 carb and less than 2 gm of fat. You can enjoy your entire snack without worrying of gaining weight.
How Much Seaweed To Eat Per Day?
1.5 teaspoon of dried seaweed is enough you as per iodine content. This much seaweed will reach to your daily tolerable limit of iodine.
Is Seaweed Good For Weight Loss?
Yes, Seaweed helps you losing weight as when you add it in your food, it stays in your stomach for a long time and feels you fuller and prevents you having meal to satisfy your short carvings. It contains high amount of fiber that soaks water and stays in stomach. By which you feels the need of having food after long time than usual. Since fiber contains 0 calories, it helps you losing weight fast.
Also Read: Oat Milk Or Almond Milk which is better for you?
Also Read: 18 Best Substitute For Ghee